Part of RIBO’s mandate is to ensure brokers comply with the RIBO Act and Regulations. Before you proceed with a complaint, please be aware of the following:
- We do not have the authority to order a broker/ brokerage to compensate you any monies or change any matter that is reflected on your insurance history (ie. Refund premium, pay your claims, write off any premium, reverse any cancellation for non-payments)
- We do not handle matters related to Insurance Companies. For more information regarding insurance companies please reference the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario website at fsrao.ca
- We do not regulate Life, Health, Group Benefits and Travel Insurance. For more information regarding insurance agents please reference the Ombudservice for Life and Health Insurance website at olhi.ca
- We do not regulate Insurance Agents, only Insurance Brokers. For more information regarding insurance agents please access the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario website at fsrao.ca
- We do not regulate insurance claims matters. For more information regarding claims matters please reference the General Insurance Ombudsman’s website at gio.ca
If you have a matter that is within our mandate, here is how you file a complaint:
Please click on the complaint form link. After completing the complaint form, you must click on the submit button to send your complaint to us. You will receive an acknowledgement letter from RIBO within 5 business days of receipt of your complaint. The letter will provide you with the name of the individual assigned to this matter, and information about the complaints process.
In some circumstances it may be recommended that a formal investigation be initiated. In such cases, after reviewing the material from yourself and the broker, we will inform you if this matter warrants a formal investigation.