The information below is designed to allow individuals to determine which examinations they are required to write as part of qualifying for a RIBO license.
“Applying for a Level 1 License”
Eligibility: Individuals who hold:
- a current out-of-province license general Property & Casualty (P&C) license (see provincial licensing guide below) or;
- those who hold an Other-Than-Life (OTL) insurance agent license with the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA).
Individuals who don’t hold a current agent license, such as those employed as Underwriters or Adjusters, may be eligible for an equivalency. These individuals may submit the following information/documentation for review:
- resume outlining experience to-date
- copy of any P&C designations held, e.g., CAIB or CIP
The above can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Individuals who are currently employed and licensed in another jurisdiction (or have been employed within the last year) are eligible to write the RIB Act & Regulations and By-Laws + RIBO Ontario Auto equivalency exams.
- Individuals who are currently employed and hold an active OTL license (with FSRA) (or have been employed within the last year) are eligible to write the RIB Act & Regulations and By-Laws equivalency exam.
“Applying for a Level 2 Unrestricted License”
Eligibility for existing RIBO licensees
- Existing registrants/licensees are eligible to write the Level 2- Unrestricted Technical Exam.
- Level 2 – Unrestricted Management Exam: Individuals must be actively working with a Level 1 “Acting under Supervision” license for a minimum of two years before attempting this examination. If individuals choose to take this exam beforehand, it will not be valid and individual will need to rewrite once eligible
- Though not a mandatory exam, some individuals may wish to write the Farm Technical examination to further their qualifications.
Exam Requirements for existing RIBO licensees
Individuals with any of the following designations may qualify for an exemption from the Level 2 Unrestricted Technical exam: CAIB, CIP, FCIP and CRM.
To apply for an exemption from the Technical exam, please forward the following information to email@example.com quoting “Technical Exemption request” in the subject line of the email.
- confirmation of the designation (for the CIP/FCIP designation, please include a listing from the Insurance Institute of the courses taken for towards the designation) and
- a letter from the Principal Broker supporting your request to waive the Technical examination and remove “Acting Under Supervision” restriction from your license
Eligibility for Out of Province licensees seeking a level 2 unrestricted license to be a Principal Broker for a firm
- The two-year waiting period will be waived for individuals who are actively licensed and have been employed in another jurisdiction for more than two years.
- See guide below for more information, including requirements for holding a “Principal Broker or Unrestricted Level 2 plus Management license”.
Exam Requirements for Out of Province licensees
- In addition to meeting the Level 1 licensing criteria, certain out of province licensees may qualify for an exemption from the Level 2 – unrestricted technical exam (see guide below for eligibility for exemption from this exam based on your home province’s license).
- Out of province licensees seeking a Principal Broker designation must successfully complete the RIBO Level 2- Unrestricted Management exam and Ontario Automobile examination.
PROVINCIAL LICENSING GUIDE
Below is a guide for out of province applicants who hold a license in their home jurisdiction.
Level 1 – Entry Level Broker, Acting Under Supervision
- If you hold one of the following licenses in your home jurisdiction you may be eligible for a Level 1 license in Ontario, following the successful completion of the RIBO Auto & RIB Act Equivalency Exams.
|Alberta||General Level 1 or Level 2 Agent|
|British Columbia||Level 1 General Insurance Salesperson|
|Manitoba||Level 1 General Insurance Salesperson|
|New Brunswick||Class 1 Broker, Class 2 Broker, or Special|
|Newfoundland & Labrador||Level 1 or Level 2 Broker|
|Northwest Territories||General Insurance Agent|
|Nova Scotia||Level 1 General Insurance Agent|
|Ontario (FSRA)||OTL (Other Than Life)|
|Prince Edward Island||General|
|Quebec||Personal Lines Damage Insurance|
|Saskatchewan||Level 1 Agent|
|Yukon||Salesperson or Broker|
Level 2 – Unrestricted Technical
- If you hold one of the following licenses in your home jurisdiction you may be eligible to waive the technical exam requirement for qualifying for a Level 2 license in Ontario.
- Out of province licensees seeking a Principal Broker designation must successfully complete the RIBO Level 2- Unrestricted Management exam.
|Alberta||Level 2 Agent|
|British Columbia||Level 2 or Level 3 Agent|
|Manitoba||Level 2 or Level 3 Agent|
|New Brunswick||Class 3 Broker or Class 4 Broker|
|Newfoundland & Labrador||Level 3 Broker|
|Nova Scotia||Level 2 or Level 3 General Insurance Agent|
|Quebec||Full Sector Damage or Commercial Lines Damage|
|Saskatchewan||Level 2 or Level 3 Agent|