Can a broker maintain their license while employed elsewhere?

Individuals employed in an occupation other than that of an insurance broker must resign their license. There is a two year period in which the individual may reinstate their license without having to write the exam.

Can a broker maintain their license while unemployed or taking a leave of absence?

There is a twelve (12) month inactive period in which an individual may remain registered. The annual renewal fee must be paid and the continuing education requirements met. Upon expiry of the twelve (12) month inactive period, a letter of resignation must be submitted or the license will be lapsed. Individuals who have allowed their registrations to lapse will be required to write the qualifying examination to regain registration.

How will a bankruptcy or a criminal offense affect a registration?

Individuals have an obligation to advise RIBO of the details of the matter and provide documentation. The information will be considered by the Qualification and Registration Committee with regard to suitability. In the case of bankruptcy, a copy of the long statement of affairs and discharge order must be provided.

Can licenses be transferred between provinces?

Individuals must meet the requirements of and be licensed in the provinces they wish to do business in. Please refer to the Regulatory Authority Listing for the address and telephone numbers of the various provincial and territorial authorities.

Can a broker work at another business while employed at a brokerage?

Ontario Regulation 991, Section 5 outlines the registration requirements for an individual. It is legislated that the “only business or employment” of an individual be that of an insurance broker, or an insurance broker/life agent.

An application for a Secondary Business Exemption must be made to the Qualification and Registration Committee for any other business involvement or employment by submitting a letter of request and completing a secondary business exemption form. A letter from the Principal Broker outlining the qualifications of the individual and supporting the request for the exemption must accompany the application. An individual must be granted an exemption from the Qualification & Registration Committee prior to any involvement in a secondary occupation.

The Qualification & Registration Committee will allow exemptions for individuals licensed for a minimum of two consecutive years, to carry on business as a general insurance broker and/or life agent along with one other licensed occupation from the non-insurance financial services group, limiting individuals to three licenses. A completed Financial Products Application – Individuals must accompany the documentation.